2 stems lemon lemongrass, thinly sliced
1 medium onion or 6 shallots, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves
1 inch galangal, chopped
1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
1 tablespoons chili paste or sambal olek
6 macadamia nuts or 2 tablespoons cashew nuts
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cups coconut milk
3 cups good quality chicken stock
1 ½ pound chicken breast fillet, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 pound fettuccine
2 small zucchini, chopped
1 cup chopped butternut squash
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
1 lime, cut into wedges
Sambal olek for garnish
1. Begin by preparing the spice paste: add the lemongrass, onion, garlic cloves, galangal, ginger, chili paste, macadamia or cashews if using, cumin and turmeric into a blender with 1 cup of water to keep the blades moving and blend until smooth.
2. Heat oil in a deep stock pan, when hot add the paste and stir-fry on medium heat until aromatic, about 15 minutes or until the oil separates on the surface. Slowly add the coconut milk and chicken stock, stirring. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add chicken, zucchini and butternut squash and simmer on low until the chicken is cooked, about 10 minutes. Add salt and sugar to taste.
4. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the fettuccine until just al dente. Drain the fettuccine.
5. To serve, divide the fettuccine into serving bowls. Top with chicken, vegetables and pour the sauce over the fettuccine. Garnish each bowl with fresh limes and a dash of sambal olek.