Rich Chocolate Cardamom Cake
8 ounces (226 grams) fine quality bittersweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup confectioner’s sugar, plus more for dusting
4 large eggs yolks and white separated, at room temperature
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ cup all purpose flour, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 5 small ovenproof ramekins with butter and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, over medium low heat. Set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until creamy and airy. Scrape down with a rubber spatula if needed. Add the eggs yolks one at a time and continue to beat the mixture until it has doubled in volume. Add the cardamom and beat for 1 minute.
4. Stir in the chocolate and beat for 1 minute. Fold in the flour and mix until well combined.
5. Whip the eggs whites to stiff peak in an electric mixed. Fold the whites into the cake mixture until you have a smooth batter. Spoon the mixture into the prepared ramekins and then place the ramekins on a baking sheet pan. Bake for 30 minutes, until firm to the touch on the outside but slightly moist inside, a tooth pick inserted in the center should come out with moist crumb.
6. Cool the cakes completely on a rack. Run a knife around the edges of the ramekins, then invert. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.